CST 311 Week 1

 

WELCOME TO WEEK 1

Learning Journal

This week has been really good so far. I learned a lot of new things that I found very interesting. To begin with, this week's chapter started with an introduction to what the internet is and how it is viewed. It is first described as the "nuts and bolts," where it talks about all the hardware and software that is involved. For example, there are billions of computing devices such as hosts (or end systems) running network applications. Hosts can be a PC, server, laptop, smartphone, etc. In order to carry signals across from one end system to another, there are communication links such as wired or wireless links. There are also intermediate devices called packet switches, which forward packets.

There are also protocols that control the sending and receiving of messages sent from one end system to another. Some examples of these protocols are TCP and IP. Protocols are used to define the format and order of the messages that are being sent across network entities. Understanding network protocols was mentioned in the lecture as being key to mastering computer networking. For instance, TCP is a transport protocol that can transport application layer messages. It provides a connection-oriented service to its applications.


These were a few of the things I learned this week. There was much more that goes into further detail, such as the network core, delay, loss, network security, and some history. I also had an opportunity to practice my conversions and math, working with some examples where delay or transmission rate was calculated. Although it was a lot of material to cover, I enjoyed it. I still have a few assignments to work through. Since I am working with an Apple M1, I had to install a different VM and do some digging on how to install certain things. I can't wait to finish my labs and have a better understanding of everything that I installed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST 300 Week 4

CST 300 Week 3

CST 300 Week 1