CST 311 Week 7

 

WELCOME TO WEEK 7

Learning Journal

This week involved a lot of multitasking. Since this course is almost over, we took our final this weekend, and studying took most of my time. I reviewed all my notes and used the study guide to help me with my preparation.

Additionally, we worked on the team programming assignment, PA4. So far, Edward and I have successfully started the Mininet network, and we were able to run pingall without any issues. We have divided the work for this part efficiently. We also ensured that the legacy network portion was completed before Monday so that our other group members could begin their tasks since they are collaborating on other sections. As a team, we have been working well together with excellent communication and contribution. Hopefully, we can have everything ready or close to completion by Friday.

Regarding the lecture, we focused on the link layer. Specifically, we covered its role in error detection, multiple access protocols, and LANs. I found the multiple access protocol particularly interesting—it’s a distributed algorithm that determines how nodes share a channel, such as when a node can transmit data. I was also interested in the MAC protocols, which have three broad classes:

  1. Channel Partitioning (e.g., TDMA and FDMA)
  2. Random Access (e.g., ALOHA, slotted ALOHA, CSMA, CSMA/CD)
  3. Taking Turns (e.g., polling and token passing)
There was so much I learned and worked on this weekend, and there’s still more to do..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST 300 Week 4

CST 300 Week 3

CST 300 Week 1